Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Breakfast Smoothies

Getting back to one of those goals I was thinking of when I started Decade Three.....lose weight! I have been struggling with this for about 4 years now. I hate it! I really don't care about how much I weigh, I just want to feel healthy and look good in my clothes. The worst part is that I don't eat junk food, I guess I just cook too much!  Anyhoo, back to the story. With the passing of my mother I've been thinking a lot about this, I feel like I really need to take control and do this for myself. I am going to do it, at least I hope that I can do it!

So, I've changed a few things rather than choosing a "fad" diet. First, I've cut my beloved Diet Coke out of my life completly. It's always hard to break off a steamy love affair, emotions run rampant but it had to be done. I've been clean now for 8 days and I really do feel a difference! I don't seem to miss the caffine at all, the morning coffee seems to do the trick, and I swear I have more energy.

I've also been sure to not eat out (which I had been doing a lot of between hospital visits). I am making a stong effort to eat breakfast and incorporate more fruit and vegetables into my diet. Snacks now consist of a whole piece of fruit or a vegetable which is great. But, the breakfast change is what I want to share with you all today.......SMOOTHIES, YUM!

I didn't think I liked smoothies as I am not a huge fan of fruit. But I gave them ago last Monday after reading a recipe in the So Easy cookbook by nutritionist Ellie Kreuger. I am addicted, I really am. I've had one every single day since. They are full of good stuff and low calorie too which is great! Here is the one I enjoyed in my car on the way to work this morning.

Cherry- Blueberry Smoothie with Acai Juice

1/4 Cup Soy Milk
1/4 Cup Acai Juice with Blueberry
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Plain Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Honey
Splash of Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Frozen Cherries
1/2 Cup Frozen Blueberries
1/2 Cup Ice

Add all ingrediants to the blender in the order that they are listed above. Use the liquidify setting until a strong vortex is created in the center. Blend for about 2 minutes. Serve and enjoy.



This recipe makes enough for one serving, is full of antioxidents and oh so good!

2 comments:

  1. If you are interested, Emily, my favorite smoothie is 1 cup frozen Mango and pineapple, with 1 cup of vanilla soymilk. Add coconut if you like. No ice needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sound fabulous! I will try that one this week! Thanks Irene!

    ReplyDelete