Friday, January 29, 2010

The Gift of Food

I love cooking....have I mentioned that? But second to that I love to share my creations with others. I like to package them beutifully and surprise people with them. I makes my heart warm.

The lucky recipients of my latest gift? My dear friends Lindsey and Traci. I saw a recipe for Caramelized Onions in EveryDay Food a couple of months ago and couldn't get it off of my mind. The finished product was fantastic! I can not wait to make it again. Here is the recipe, very simple!

16 sweet onions
6 tablespoons of butter
2 teaspoons of Kosher salt- plus more to taste
2 tablespoons of sugar

Cut the onions thinly while gently melting the butter (be careful not to let the butter burn) in a large Dutch oven. When onions are sliced bring the heat up to medium high. Add all of the onions and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt.



Cook onions stirring often for about 45 minutes or until they start to turn a slight caramel color. Do not allow them to brown. Adjust heat as needed.




Then add the sugar and additional salt to taste. Cook onions for another 10-15 minutes or until they turn a dark caramel color. Bring to room tempurature before packaging. Onions will store well in the fridge for up to two weeks.

These onions are so sweet but yet savory at the same time! Lindsey and Traci almost didn't get any because I was eating it straight from the pan! I enjoyed mine in a pasta I threw together with what I had in the house. Some Calamata olives, arugala, lemon, and fresh Parmasen. Oh my goodness.....so YUM!




Lindsey toasted hers on french bread with cheese and Traci made her own pasta to enjoy her's with. Both sounded delish and I can't wait to try them myself!



It's the little things I guess! Happy weekend to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment